Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bread

Once I figured out how to make pizza dough I realized that I could make bread with roughly the same amount of effort. Taylor loves my homemade bread and it is always a treat.

The truth is that you don't need a bread maker or anything more than a spoon and a cutting board in order to make amazing bread. Like a lot of things in a modern world it is so easy to buy bread that you just assume that it is difficult to make or that you need a bunch of equipment. You don't....its easy and it's pretty cool when you can say that you made the bread on that sandwich.


In a large bowl add 2 cups of bread flour, 1 package of dry active yeast, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, 3 tablespoons of melted butter and 2 cups of hot water. (Hot from your tap).  Vigorously stir with a tablespoon until all of the ingredients are well combined. 

This is the only tricky part.  You will need one more cup of flour and another 1/4 cup of hot water. Your dough should be a slightly sticky ball in your bowl. Slowly add the flour and continue to mix using your hands if necessary.  After you have added all of the flour add only enough water to allow the mix to come together without being sticky.

Next, knead the dough on a cutting board sprinkled with flour for about 10 minutes until the dough takes on an elastic quality.  Put about a tablespoon of oil in a large bowl and lightly roll your dough in it. Loosely cover the bowl with plastic and put aside in a warm, dry spot for about an hour. Your dough will rise during this period. Go watch golf or talk to your kid. (Whatever is easier).

After an hour, break the dough on your cutting board and form into a loaf.  In layman's terms this just means that your dough will be very airy and light. You just punch it down onto the board and begin to knead it a bit a form it into a loaf shape. This takes just about a minute.

Place the loaf into a greased bread loaf pan and again loosely cover with plastic. Set aside again for another 45 minutes. Your dough will double in size. Remember to loosely cover with the plastic so that the rising will not be inhibited. Again, go watch golf.....or talk to your kid.

Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees and bake the bread for about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 30 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack until fully cooled. You will know the bread is done when you flip it over and tap the bottom with a spoon. It should make a sort of hollow sound.

That's it. I told you it was easy.

I know you are thinking, "Dude, you are crazy that will take forever and I have an important life." Well good for you Dude. But, this is literally 15 minutes worth of actual work, the rest is waiting for the bread to rise.  I made this bread last night when I got home from work so I know it can be done. My commitment to cooking fresh is extending into multiple areas that I never contemplated when I started. But I am finding that we are eating much healthier as a result and in the process lowering our consumption of processed foods. I also find that Taylor and I actually speak more when I am cooking dinner. She pops in and wants to knead the dough or cut the vegetables. Dinner has become a team effort since we decided together to commit to cooking fresh each night.

Tom

2 comments:

thehousedaddy said...

Nothing like the fresh stuff. Great work as usual Tom. I always keep dough in fridge and pull off bread to bake every morning for sandwiches. Let the world know how great your house smells with fresh bread in the oven.
Thehousedaddy.com

Tom said...

That's a great idea. I am going to start doing that as well.