Monday, May 23, 2011

Home Cooking

In my mind there is no reason why you can't eat as well at home as you can at a restaurant. Granted, there are amazing Chefs out there that turn out some pretty special meals. But why not try and serve something memorable every night.

Always start with good ingredients. Look for steaks that are nicely marbled. Don't be afraid to spice your meat properly. Learn about spices as simple as Salt. For example, I use Kosher Salt on Beef and my cracked pepper is set on the largest grind possible.

Get a meat thermometer and become a snob about cooking your meat to perfection.




Look for the Wild Salmon for that special Saturday night meal. You will notice in looking at the salmon on the right that it is bright in color. The Salmon eats a particular shrimp that turns its flesh bright orange and provides a unique flavor. Farm raised Salmon while eco-friendly is just too bland for a special meal.

I prepare good salmon as simple as this: I lightly coat it with olive oil on both sides.  Season with Maldon brand Sea Salt and pepper. 

In a very hot pan, sear the fish on both sides (about 3 minutes a side) and finish in a 400 degree oven for about 7 minutes. You fish should come out medium rare.

I like to serve salmon over Jasmin Rice. This takes about 20 - 30 minutes to cook so plan ahead. Depending on what looks good in the produce department I might blanch either asparagus with a dash of Balsamic or brocoli with a squeeze of lemon.

I typically don't find that really good salmon requires lemon but trust your own taste buds. Because I just got back from Napa, I served the salmon with an amazing bottle of Far Niente Chardonnay. 

No comments: